Thread: Scab Umpires
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:43am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump911
Gentleman, this is simply an exercise in the law of supply and demand. I wholeheartedly believe our MiLB umpire brothers are grossly under compensated for the service they provide. They don't have a contract and have decided to stand together and fight for better. Their problem, and what I think is the problem for umpires in general, is that there are too many people willing to provide the service for the lower wage. These people must realize they will be afforded no protection of a union and are simply "at-will" employees. Same as any employee not in a union. They may endure treatment even worse than the union members by baseball management because there is nothing or nobody to support them. I applaud the striking union members for standing up for a noble cause. My fear is that they are going to be defeated and any hopes for any of them to make it to the major leagues will end prematurely. My hope is that this brings an entire new structure to the system where being a minor league umpire is a career that is fairly compensated, not just an abused apprenticeship to a snow balls chance at the bigs.

Will
Where have you been? What he said!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25