Thread: Scab Umpires
View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Former MiLB crew chief responds

Brother umpires,

I've read the entire thread...wow...talk about fun. Would you like some perspective from someone who actually knows the contract, and knows the situation, and won't call names? Breath of fresh air, eh?

Ok...an umpire in AAA is bound to a MAXIMUM of 3 years at the AAA level before one of the following two things must happen:

1) MLB takes interest in the umpire, and decides that they would like to consider him (or her, since there is a female AA umpire) for a "fill-in" spot with MLB. If they are interested, these umpires generally are assigned to the Arizona Fall League, where they are watched by MLB supervisors over 6 weeks. These games feature some of the best prospects in baseball, and the level of competition is a good as it gets in the minors. They work four man crews and are critiqued after every game and get the dreaded Questec treatment if they work the plate. Questec is not every game, but they generally get it for 2-4 games in the AFL.

2) The umpires that reach a third year and have been shown know interest by MLB are then released from their contracts (and careers) based on the terms of the contract that just expired. It was agreed upon by the AMLU in 2001, so umpires would not be dragged along for the customary 4-6 years, thinking they had a shot, only to be dropped after 12-14 years in the minors.

OK...got that out of the way...NEXT!

As a former minor league crew chief and umpire for over a decade, I know how much I miss umpiring the games. I've heard stories about HS/NCAA umpires and the such that are getting the "chance of a lifetime" to work these games. I can't really blame them. I know how much it meant to me to work in different stadiums with screaming fans...what a thrill! However, consider my three points...and please consider them, since I haven't called anyone names:

1) My chance of a lifetime cost me $6000 to go to umpire school, since I was a two time student (not as good the first time ).

2) I spent over 9 years gone from Mid-March to Mid-September from my home, and in the course of that decade, I missed 10 4th of July's with my family, 10 of my brother's birthdays, and 10 of my own with my family. I'm not complaining...don't get me wrong...it was my choice to sacrifice for a chance to work in the Majors. I came home to my home state for a total of six days in the 10 summers I worked in the minors. SIX DAYS.

3) In the decade plus that I worked, if you take my total salary for that time, I made a little over $100,000 for that time frame. Now think about that...that was 10 years of umpiring for just a little more than 100G's. I also never had a true "full-time" job until I was in my 30's. It's hard to tell someone, "Hey, I'd love that 50K job, but can I leave for six months, then come back for six, then leave...etc." Once again, not complaining, just explaining.

So, the moral of the story is this. While I understand the "chance", I sacrificed a lot more time, blood, sweat, toil, and tears, to deserve that chance, and that is the major problem with the AMLU members who are fired up. I've seen some of them physically ill when they realize someone who just got out from behind their desk after work is making their sacrifices null.

As far as the protest situation in Columbus: How would an AMLU umpire react? A "true" (pardon the generalization) AAA umpire has most likely had that play happen at least twice in his/her career since they most likely have 7-10 years of experience. I know for a fact that I had that same play three times, once with a slightly confused Carlos Delgado down on rehab in the minors. We also run that drill at umpire school over and over, and it is also drilled in our heads with the rules test and other teaching. The thing that should confuse you is not that there was no protest, it was that any umpire, no matter what level, should have known who to call out on that play. Think about it, everyone of you who is posting on here...How did you know that was the rule? Dumb question...because you know your job. What a lot of you may not be aware of is this: If a minor league umpire crew loses a protest, they will be removed from their position by the end of the season. A protest is considered the "death mark;" as an umpire in pro ball, you are expected to know the rules and apply them correctly, since this is your vocation, not hobby.

Last comment for now: It's not a lack of umpiring ability that makes the situations in the minors tough...it's the lack of experience at the levels they're working. I could blow a call, trust me, I have, and get away with it since I knew half the players over my 11 years. When you establish an attitude, repore, and people know who you are, they respect you. They don't respect the replacement umpires because they (players) know we've sacrificed as much as they have.

I appreciate you all for taking the time to read this post, and if you'd like to know more, please respond to my post and I can help everyone understand the feelings of both sides.

Thatballzlow!

Last edited by Thatballzlow; Sun Apr 16, 2006 at 11:10pm.