Thread: retired runner
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I know this is old business, but have patience. This quote is from an old post about a runner sliding into 2nd and taking out teh SS. I have a couple questions about it.
"... under ASA rules (and NFHS). There, interference by a retired runner must be intentional. Some would say that a pop-up slide was intentional, but as you described it, I don't see that as an intentional act to interfer or to break up a DP. I would have "no call.""
Not necessarily. There is no required intent when interfering with the fielder attempting to throw the ball. Many get it confused, but that is not the same as interfering with a thrown ball.

Sliding for a base in an effort to reach the base or get out of the way of the defender is fine. However, the pop-up is a good question, though unanswerable without seeing the specific play.
Quote:

1) Does this still apply in NFHS and ASA?
I would assume
Quote:

2) What about an upright runner, forced out 2 - 4 steps from the base?
Again, would have to see the play
Quote:

3) Are the answers to 1 and 2 also true for NCAA?
Don't know why they wouldn't be especially since their rules seem to be a bit more liberal than others. Of course, that is subject to change after the next influential coach has this happen to him/her and the umpire doesn't see it the same way.