Thread: Scab Umpires
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

If I read this thread right, the union isn't striking. They don't have a contract in the first place, since their contract expired. Striking implies that you are leaving a job that you had in the first place. MiLB has no contract. They refused to accept the terms they were offered by Baseball.

So if they don't have a job to begin with, how are the people who are taking the available unfilled jobs, scabs? These "replacement" umpires haven't been asked to join a union, and since there isn't a strike due to their not being a contract - none of those definitions apply. If they aren't working for less than the union was working for, none of the scab definitions apply.

And why should anyone support a union that wouldn't accept them into their ranks in the first place? We, the union, don't want you, wouldn't take you, and don't really care about what you plight in life is. So tell me why anyone should support your union again?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates