View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

What Should I Have Done Here?

I'm behind the plate for a 12U fastpitch game last night. Batters boxes and catchers box are properly marked. The home pitcher throws some heat, so, the visiting batters have been setting up in the very back of the box. The catcher for the home team has been EXTREMELY close to the swinging batters all night long, but still legally within the confines of her given box. I had came close to telling her to backup several times, but kept thinking to myself that since she was legally inside her marked space, I'll keep my mouth closed. Hadnt called any catchers interferences all night, then BAM, it happens. The cleanup girl for the visitors, who is a hoss for a 12 yr. old, takes a big, long cut and strikes the catcher between the wrist and elbow on the front swing. Breaks the bone. As you would expect from a 12 yr. old, she is rolling on the ground, screaming in pain.

I have been beating myself up over this since last night. I know if the player is legally positioned, I should keep my mouth closed, but when do you have to let common sense kick in and think about the safety of the player? I knew in the back of my mind that it would happen, but I was hoping it would be your normal catchers interference by hitting the glove.

Would you, or have you, told the catcher to back up in a situation like this, especially at this age or any age for that matter?