View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
My personal collection of ASA rulebooks stops (starts) in 1999, the year I separated (and my ex decided what I no longer needed). If Mike or someone else with a historic collection of ASA rulebooks (WMB?) can go back before that, I believe that the one year of calling it a dead ball (to stop umpires from calling it interference) if the retired batter ran was about 1996 or 1997, then the rule was changed to the current live ball but cannot be interference the next year (1997 or 1998) with the written rationale for the change in the front of the ASA rulebook.
I can't fill in all the openings, but this I do know.

1994: When, after being declared out or scoring, a runner interferes with a defensive player's opportunity to make a play on another runner. EFFECT: the runner closest to home plate at the time of interference shall be called out. This rule, in this form, dates back to at least 1982. I cannot find it in my 1971 book.

Between 1994 and 1997 a NOTE was added that stated: A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw will be considered a form of interference.

1998 - the following was added to the note: This does not apply to batter-runner running on the third strike rule.

Now maybe this sentence was added prior to '98 and only the high-lited words were changed in '98.

My books between 2000 and 2002 are currently not available, but during that time the words "will be considered" were changed to "may be considered."

WHATEVER - as Dakota has already forceably stated - this rule does not apply to this posting.

And in NFHS (and ASA?) there is no rule that directly speaks to a batter running in error to 1B.

WMB