View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
4B,
Lots of question. Let's see about getting you some answers.

When the fielder does not have the ball, the runner has the absolute right to get to & beyond a base in whatever manner she chooses. If the fielder does not yeild, that probably is obstruction.

With your F5 who "My third baseman kind of got in the base path during a rundown, but clearly didn’t touch the runner" No touch is needed. If your F5 got in the way - in any way the runner - that is obstruction.

Let me go back to the definition of obstruction - "Obstruction is the act of the defensive team that hinders or impedes a batter's attempt to make contact with a pitched ball of that impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running the bases, unless the fielder is in possession of the ball or is fielding a batted ball. The act may be intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal."

So, look at the definition, then go back and look at your plays and rethink this - was that obstruction?

Obstruction is not an appeal play. We see it, we call it. If you need a brief explanation of why an umpire did or did not make some call, get timeout and come on out so we can talk.

As for other appeals, in high school ball - you are allowed to make the appeal yourself, from the bench.
Hey Steve,

Here's a non-call I made in an 8/under coach-pitch game last night. First girl hits a single. The next batter comes up. The fielder playing 2nd base was playing about a foot from being in the direct base line between 1st and 2nd. A fairly slow roller is hit towards her. She steps a foot forward into the direct base line and stops there waiting for the ball to come to her. The ball has just rolled past the pitcher. At that time the runner is at least 12 feet from the 2nd basegirl. As she gets closer she changes her direction to go around the fielder when the ball hits her foot. They fielder was exactly behind her standing in the base line with her glove ready to catch the roller just as the ball hit the runners foot. Should I have called the runner out? If the fielder didn't come forward the first step, or if she continued to come forward a couple more steps the runner would not have had to change her direction to avoid running into her. Had the ball not hit the runners foot would I have been justified in calling OBS in this case? I don't think so, but would like some umpires to help me out here. What constitues fielding a ball. Are fielders allowed to get in, and stay in, a runners way when it is not necessary? IOW's is a fielder allowed to enter and stay in the base line when she could clearly have avoided doing that? I had just talked to the coaches in pre-game about keeping their kids out of the base lines and out of the runners pathway if they don't have the ball, or they are not fielding a ball. I made the non-call because I felt there was some fault on the fielder that caused the runner to be hit by the ball. Of course, a good runner would have gone behind her instead of in front of her. But the more I think of a situation like this, where a fielder goes into a direct line between bases then stops there and waits for the ball to come to her, the more I think I should have called the runner out by rule, anyway. Perhaps the fielder was thinking she wanted to field the ball in that area to have a better chance for a tag out or throw out at 2nd base. This could happen again and I want to be clear on it. BTW, one coach on defense said he understood my non-call because of the way his player stayed in the line, waiting for the ball. But I want to know what experienced umpires say about this situation, and if there are any gray areas of the obstruction, or interference rules. ..thanks, Al