View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
No, they don't. That's the whole point of a strike, to put pressure on the company your striking against, so they will be willing to bargain, by removing a critical service point, and causing them to loose revenue or market share.

I am not a union sympathizer or union member, but I do believe certain industries do still need unions, because the companies are operating in a 1930 mindset. And from what I have read, I personally feel MiLB umpires deserve a better system to work in.

I will never say anything to the members of my association who crossed, nor will I treat them any differently. Although, my respect level for them has diminished. Especially the hypocrites who are union members. Don't forget, they crossed a union picket line. That is the backbone of union brotherhood, being stabbed in the back. How about if their union went on strike, and the MiLB umpires stepped in during the off-season and did their jobs ? I bet they would see it in a whole different light.

I had the opportunity to talk with an MiLB umpire last week. Since he is not working, he was home, and decided to watch some of the local HS games. Young kid, very respectful, bright, lives for baseball. This would be his second year, if he was working. He knows many of the umpires in our association, and has seen them working the local Minor League games on TV. I told him that I did not agree with them crossing the line. I also told him that I had not been approached, nor did I expect to be approached, but if I were, I would turn it down. His face lit up, he shook my hand and said, that no matter how this thing turns out, he really appreciates my support. That felt better than I imagine working a minor league game as a scab ever would.

Like you, I hear a lot of talk on this site about this, but I don't hear enough talk about supporting our brother umpires, union or not. So in my eyes, WE are killing them off, not MLB !
Please remember to think about the concessions workers, ticket takers, and all the other people making "peanuts" working at minor league games. For them, the games have to go on as well.