View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Well it did not matter in the National Championship game where the shot clock read 25 seconds and Florida got a timeout. Also the official that made the call that sparked this discussion did not come in and make the National Championship game. So there must be some reason he did not make this call again.

Or it is possible that the NCAA addressed Burr's earlier call and said that was not supposed to be made by the C official in the manner it was made during the tournament.
I'm sure there is a reason, but like you, I would just be guessing about it. It is certainly possible that somebody said to Burr not to make that call anymore. But I doubt that. As I said, this is taught at camps and (I thought, at least) generally accepted. Obviously, I could be wrong.

It's also possible that Tom's suggestion is right. Maybe there was a small lag time issue. But then, as you suggest, I might expect an adjustment to the shot clock.

It's also possible that Burr just didn't notice it this time until after the TO was granted. I didn't see the play, but if the ball was fairly close to him and there was pressure (which I'm assuming, since he had to call the TO), then maybe he couldn't take his eyes away to check the clock.

As I said, all guesses. We'll never know unless somebody gets to ask Mr. Burr about it at a camp this summer.