View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Blue
I really don't have a problem doing what I'm told.....but I DO think it's the wrong thing to do.

The reasons are:

1) In normal situations (one man), I would NOT wait for the runner to return to 1st base (assuming runner was safe and DID touch the bag) before returning to my position behind the plate.

2) Remaining there (near 1st base) tips the defense's hand that I still have action at 1st.
Then make your way back to the plate without calling TIME. Just keep your eye on the field. I have a problem with your mechanic of not waiting on the BR to return and just routinely calling time. The ball is live, the play is live. The BR can still try for 2nd, and if she does, the defense can still get an out. In one man, I do not call TIME unless absolutely necessary. It is not that difficult to return to your position while keeping the field in view, especially with only the BR on base. You only really need to watch three players - BR, F3 and F1.

Quote:
3) Yes....I have, in affect, taken away the defensive team's ability to make a live ball appeal. BUT....I have NOT taken away their ability to make a dead ball appeal.
Not true unless the BR never returns to 1B. The dead ball appeal cannot be honored until after the runners have completed their base-running duties. You calling TIME does not strand the BR into right field.

Quote:
If the live ball appeal is going to be made....it MOST LIKELY is going to be made pretty quickly, anyway.
Agreed, of necessity.

Quote:
My concern here is in the area of CONSISTENCY. That is all. If I am to wait until the player returns to the bag.....or until the defense has made a live ball appeal play.....every time......THEN....I should wait there.....until the player returns to the bag (even though he is not in jeopardy) every time.
No, you just need to keep the field in view.