View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Amazing. Washington didn't take a single bad shot, make a single turnover, miss a single free throw, get beat to the hoop a single time, make a poor subsituting decision, utilize their time out allotment wrongly, and they lost. I hate it when that happens.
I hate it when people use the "you're not perfect either" line. We're expected to be perfect; we can't be - nobody can. But we're supposed to be. That line is a cop-out in the same vein as the criticism.

When people invariably point out the foul count when complaining about the officiating, they overlook the fact that one team was aggressive in getting the ball into the lane (whether by dribble, pass, rebound, etc). At every level of basketball, the team that gets the ball into the lane wins the vast majority of the time. An NCAA study within the last 10yrs showed that the team which shoots the most FT's in a game wins 75.6% of the time.

You can complain about officiating mistakes on a specific play - (i.e. Hightower sending #14 Matta to the FT line instead of #2 Collison who was the one fouled by Glen Davis in the 2nd half) - but to make a complaint based on general statistics is a poor use of numbers. You can make numbers "say" anything you want them to....

Matters of judgement are very difficult to attack. The only logical conclusion is that you're questioning the officials integrity - a very slippery slope for sure!