Thread: Umpire attacked
View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Play ball

I cannot see a forfeit after three complete innings of play. Perhaps if it were after five innings or if order could not be restored. I would probably suspend the game for thirty minutes to allow both sides an opportunity to cool down. It may also help the umpire who was injured in the attack to regain his composure. I would definitely not put up with any other shenanigans after the physical contact occurred. I would request that the school administrators request additional security personnel.

I would also have another plate conference before resuming the ballgame. Both coaches will be on notice that the ejection threshold will be much shorter. Coaches must understand that if ejected, they will have to schedule a trip to explain their actions to UIL officials in Austin, TX. If a player is ejected, they may be subject to suspension from school for insubordinate behavior, as well.

Kudos to his father for his actions to take responsibility for his son. I would be hard-pressed to allow such behavior to go unpunished. I think the umpire's association would be within their rights to request from the athletic director that the one player's elgibility be forfeited for the rest of the season. The visiting team may have won the game, but I think they should lose the player.