Thread: NCAA Rules help
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question NCAA Rules help

I don't really have a question but would like some comments from some of the NCAA umps on this board.

My daughter plays 1st base at a DIII School. At today's game, the opponent changed pitchers in the fourth inning and this is where my quetion comes in. The pitcher began her motion with her heel against the pitchers plate. At no time in her delivery was any part of her foot on top of the pitchers plate. Also, she took that little 8"-10" step forward with her pivot foot before delivering the ball to the plate. Both my daughter and her coach brought this to the attention of the BU but he refused to call an illegal pitch that inning . When this pitcher came out for warmups at the start of the next inning, the BU walked over to her and warned her about her motion. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Needless to say, my daughters coach went to speak with him (in a very civil tone). The umpire explained that he was just trying to do a little preventative officiating. I call it coaching and giving an advantage to one team over another. Any thoughts?