View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 11:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Michigan/South Carolina

I only saw one replay of the goaltending play, and from the angle I saw I couldn't tell if it was goaltending or if the shot was going to be short.

The play that bothered me was the intentional foul in the 1st half against the Michigan player. Not b/c it was a bad call (intentional foul was obvious), but b/c what led up to it. First the Michigan player was smacked in the face [edited for accuracy] when his lay-up was blocked. Then the USC player gets the defensive rebound. After the USC player had gathered the rebound the New Trail started up court ahead of the play and missed the USC player connecting with an elbow to the Michigan player's jaw. The Michigan player then retaliated and pushed the USC player. If the New Trail had stayed behind play, something I've always been instructed to do in 3-man, then he would have seen the elbow to the face and hopefully had a whistle on it.

I've noticed a few veteran officials in the NCAA tourney who as the New Trail get ahead of the play even when there is some defensive pressure. JMO, but I just don't thinks it's a good idea for the trail to get ahead of the play in the backcourt.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 07:56am.