View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
To be honest with you, I did not see palming called that much this year than in year's past. I know I called it when it took place and I called it this year the same way I did in the past. I think other officials might have decided to call it more. I did not have an opinion about it one way or another. It is one of those rules misunderstood like traveling. Every time the dribbler has the ball someone thinks there was a violation when there really was not.

Peace
I think it was called significantly more at the NCAA level and was an easier call to make - "coach, that's a POE this year. you know that, correct?" In essence, the POE "status" raises the acceptability-level of this type of call. Think of what happens when you make a call that, by rule, is correct but just isn't called regularly.

In the eyes of the coach, players, fans, etc., your credibility is reduced based on the call you made that nobody else does. Ultimately, we are selling our credibility with every call we make. The higher our credibility, the better game we have.