View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
I am very surprised with all your experience that you would ask this type of question. The call belonged to the BU, therefore, I would give my partner the respect he/she deserves and let them handle it. There is no need for me to get involved.

If the BU wants any help or assistance from me he/she will ask.

I think you are "pulling our legs" now because most of us learned to not intervene with our partners call unless asked to do so in Umpiring 101.

Pete Booth
First off Pete, my experience has taught me that I don't know everything and to open my mind to learning about other ideas, even ones I do not agree with. Maybe I don't agree with them simply don't understand them.

Second, I was there that day in umpiring 101 and I did learn that, but the funny thing is, if you keep going to class thru the 200's and 300's they have you unlearn some of the things they first taught you and teach you different things: like you are partners and here is the rule book and these are the guidelines and at the end of the day you have to make sure they are done as a team, and not you take this half and I take my half and let's go work.

Examples:
Number of on deck hitters, I know there should only be 2 on deck hitters in NCAA and I see 4 guys out there swing the bat. The crew is responsible for enforcing that, but many guys think, I can't say anything about that it is the PU's job.
Last year, a player drew a line on a called third on my partner and he didn't see it, I turned to the HC who was at the end of the 3rd base dugout next to me and I asked him to take care of it and he pulled the player from the game. Did I step on toes there or help the crew?
A friend of mine, AAA umpire is working a game a few weeks ago, and his partner makes a call that one team doesn't like and the HC of that team throws his hat onto the field and the BU doesn't see it, so my friend runs him. Did he step on toes or help the crew?
A guy in the dugout snipers your partner on balls and strikes and you see exactly who did it. Why not help your partner?
The right fielder yells at your partner on balls and strikes. Why not turn and let him know you heard him and that you don't want to hear it again?
You’re at the 45-foot line on a play at first and the 1st base dugout pops off at your partner after he has had several close calls. Why not help out by deflecting for him?

I have learned that it is better for the crew to umpire the situation and not stick to it's his call and he has to take every ounce of crap for it. If the teams know that I am watching your back and you are watching mine and they have to deal with the 2 or 3 of us, it makes our job easier. Why would I disrespect my partner by letting him go it alone if I could help him, and the crew?