View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

There was an article a couple of weeks ago on one of the major online sports pages -- ESPN, or cbssportsline or something -- from someone who sat behind the bench during a few of Connecticut's games. Apparently, Calhoun spends much of the game just blathering to anyone who will listen, including the media people or even fans, asking rhetorical questions and arguing about the officials. I tried to find the article to link it. I wonder whether he even knew it was Craig Littlepage? It's not appropriate and he has to stop it -- he should limit his ranting to his own bench, but I'm not so sure that it was calculated.

I kind of think the notion that there was a perception that he intimidated the crew in the Washington game and got favorable treatment, or that he should have been whacked a second time, are a little insulting to the crew. I believe that if they thought a second T was warranted, they would have called it, and those who argue that a crew at that level was intimidated into making particular calls are similar to those who take Billy Packer's word for the notion that a call was blown.

There was one moment in the game, though, that made me a little uncomfortable and did suggest that Adams and Calhoun should stay away from each other for a while. Washington up by 6 with about 2 minutes left -- missed UConn shot and Washington rebound. Connecticut player slaps the ball free, and Washington player grabs it with a foot on the line. Higgins (I think) has the call all the way. Adams comes over and initiates a conference, in which, if I'm reading lips correctly, he asks, "are you sure he didn't try to call time out," and Higgins pauses for a moment and gives him a look before shaking his head. Also, Adams was the official under the basket during the last play in regulation, where a Washington player missed a jumper to win the game. I perhaps was imagining it, but I usually watch the officials as much as the game action, and he looked, well, crestfallen in HDTV.