Thread: Banter
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling
I've always been taught that the BU should stand out in short right field during team warm-ups. This is a neutral area and removes the possibility for the umpire to engage in any kind of conversation with the game participants (players or coaches).

As the PU, I've always been taught to stand near the foul line, about 20-feet away from homeplate during warm-ups. I alternate between the 1st baseline and the 3rd baseline. I always stand on the side of the defense since there are generally less people in the nearby dugout - thereby less of an opportunity to engage in a conversation. I focus on the pitcher warming-up and am quick to give the catcher another ball on a wild pitch.

This routine is designed with two things in mind:
1) It is consistent and looks professional
2) It keeps the umpire out of between inning banter

When I work the plate, I don't like working with a partner who feels the need to come toward me and have a conversation during warm-ups. If there's something important to discuss, fine, but not to discuss his favorite TV show.

I particularly don't like my partner to approach me after a controversial inning. This makes the umpires look unsure, overly concerned, and conspiratorial.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Right with you Dave. Except the alternating sides. I have found no matter where I go up the third base line F5 seems to want to stand in front of me to take her warm-ups. I really don't care until F3 starts taking her grounders and throwing hard to F5. I have gone further up towrds 3rd, but that gets me too close to the 3rd base dugout.
I agree with your statement about the idle partner chatter. Don't come in to talk about the blonde in the third row, I am not facing that way