View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=MNBlue]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA

Obstruction is called when you see it. Only give the DDB signal. No reason to run around with your wing flapping in the air, but hold the signal for a few seconds to give the coachs a chance to see it. ASA does not call for a pronouncement of "obstruction".

Mike,

I have always had a problem with the DDB signal for obstruction, i.e., how does the runner and/or coach know to what base we are protecting the runner? We may not think it is important, but I believe savy runners/coaches will use the protection to take at least that base, where inexperienced runners will not contiune to the protected base.

I have always felt it was incumbant upon us as officials to communicate with the participants any rulings we make that can affect their decision making. If they don't know to where they are protected, we are forcing them to read our minds, possibly limiting their choices.
We cannot inform people during a play what the award is going to be, and while it's important to US, it should not be important to savy runners/coaches. Why does it matter AT ALL if the inexperienced or experienced runner continues to the awarded base? Our ruling should NOT affect their decision making, and I can't think of a case where it would.