View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
I would like for someone on the forum to detail the mechanics of an obstruction call.

Sitch: R1 on 1B, B3 hits line drive to LF, moving in to cover 2B F4 obstructs R1 just before she rounds 2B not a crash but some contact is made. F7 pegs the throw to F5 for the out on R1 at 3B. F5 then throws to F4 and the BR is tagged out at 2B.

At what point in the play is obstruction called? Is the play killed as soon as the tag is made at third or does the delayed dead ball signal (which I assume is given at the monent of obstruction) allow the play to conclude with the play at second?

If someone would walk through this play and break it down at each point when the Ump takes action, that would be helpful to me.
Speaking ASA

Obstruction is called when you see it. Only give the DDB signal. No reason to run around with your wing flapping in the air, but hold the signal for a few seconds to give the coachs a chance to see it. ASA does not call for a pronouncement of "obstruction".

However, there are some who will suggest giving a verbal and there is nothing stating an umpire cannot. I stopped giving a verbal when I was working a HS game, ruled DDB and said "obstruction" and every player on the infield stopped playing an looked to me for a call. A simple non-required call caused the game to come to a halt. That shouldn't happen, so I no longer open my mouth.

If the runner is put out, or all play is obviously over prior to the obstructed runner reaching the base to which you provided protection, you rule the ball dead and award the appropriate base to that runner and any other runner affected by the OBS.

If the runner passes the base to which they were protected, the OBS call is negated and the runner is now in jeopardy even if put out returning to the base to which she was protected. If the runner safely attains the base to which they were protected, even if it was the base on the back end of the OBS and leaves that base during a subsequent play on another runner, s/he is now in jeopardy to be retired even if that takes place between the bases where the runner was obstructed.

In your play, only you can determine whether R1 is protected to 3B. If no, then R1 is out and play continues. If yes, the ball is dead the moment R1 is tagged out. R1 is awarded 3B and R2 is safe at 2B as long as that runner was more than half way to 2B at the time of the tag on R1. If not, that R2 is returned to 1B.