Thread: Recent Games
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmaster
I have never seen this technique at any level. Please explain your logic.

Any of the old dogs, ie Tee, HHH, MByron, Papa C, etc you guys have opinions on this?
I think I explained it in the statement that you pulled out. I learned it on a night in Lakewood, NJ where they have a strange cinder block wall in the out-field alleys. Above the fence in straight away center there is an area of wall that extends above the fence that the ball must clear to be a HR, but in the alleys the fence angles back away from the fence and if it gets hit it is a HR. I was working 1st with no one on and the ball was hit to the left field alley. I did not pivot, I did not take my eyes off of the ball, you guys talked about that one a little bit ago, and I watched the ball hit the angled part of the wall, which meant HR, and come back onto the field. My partner signaled that the ball was down and no HR, the B/R, Ryan Church, ended up being thrown out at 3rd once the Left fielder figured out that we had not called it a HR.

The visiting manager came out on my partner and got him to ask for help. My partner said he didn’t see where the ball hit and I told him what I saw. He came up immediately with a HR mechanic and we then came up with 3 ejection mechanics. We had an evaluator in the stands and he told us how we might have handled it differently, and I have been told that that is a preferred method by PBUC now.

Take the USA-Japan incident, if Bob after talking to BK, had gone over to the Japan dugout and explained the situation before reversing the call, we would all probably be talking about how well the situation was handled. It wouldn’t have been a big deal, because the Japan manager would have been calm and understood what was going on. The way it was done in my situation in NJ, and the USA game has the manager coming out mad and ready to fight, and there is nothing wrong with that, but if you can get him to come out and listen and understand what you are doing, it works out a little better, with no ejections, and you look like you are approachable and can handle your stuff. Just something that was taught to me that I would always use, if I can.