Thread: College
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Depends upon ....

Many factors need be considered to answer how long or how tough to move up to D1. Geographics (supply)is high. Age, ability, and experience (reputation) are important. Who you know and how many butts you've kissed might be more important than anything!
I'll give you 2 cases in San Diego (men's).
Ref #1 is early 30s, 15 years exp, 8 high school finals, regional JC playoffs, tryouts men's Pac-10 twice, been to camp, blah, blah, blah. He officiates for a living and has not kissed the right behind.He doesn't make it!
Ref #2 is a few years younger, hs finals, jc playoffs, several D3 playoffs,similar ability, volunteers to videotape at camps run by guy whose butt needs to be kissed
(he does not kiss it). Is politically correct. Is frustrated after several years of trying. Almost quits 6 years in a row. Finally gets a break and is now "big-time"
and has worked up to the Final Four.
Ref #1 and #2 were both good enough, but only one went.
In fact only one has moved up in 20 years in San Diego.
(a few guys were up for a cup of coffee)
Geographically, there is nothing south, west, or east and they have plenty of refs up north (LA).
Chance of making it to D1 are SLIM at best.
Sometimes the better refs are working lower levels or even sitting at home. If you want to get there, you better be ready to travel, work camps, make friends, buy dinner/drinks, act as if you like those in power, even though some are not worthy, and NEVER piss off someone
who has clout.
Be realistic and give your best at whatever level you reach. Only a few ever get up there.
The ref #2 is Tom Wood, while the other is me.
No sour grapes on my part. I am very happy for him as he deserves it.