View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
In an earlier post, I described the officiating at a very good game I watched on Friday night. Before that game I was watching a very lop-sided game at a different school. What was interesting to me was to listen to the coaches. I was about 3 feet from them (since this was the only seat in the gym when I got there) and I heard everything they were saying to each other however quiet. Nothing was going their way, but that was NOT because of poor officiating. But they were completely oblivious. And then when their girls were finally playing well for a few seconds, the coaches were huddling trying to figure out how to influence the ref to change a call. I'm not talking about bribery or anything like that, but just what to say if they talked to him. Becuase of this conversation they completely missed the opportunity to praise their players and give a little positive reinforcement. They were not discussing what was going wrong, or whether maybe they should pull their big post player who was banging around and getting called for it. It just confirmed for me that when the coach is yelling at the refs it usually means he/she isn't doing his/her job. I don't care how little these coaches were getting paid -- it was too much.