View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 06:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1RefnKY
Unless you are in my shoes, do not criticize me. Before you criticize someone, try to get the whole truth…there is always two sides to every story. Do not believe everything you read in the paper. They (Courier-journal) did not describe everything correctly. Things were omitted for whatever reason.

I stood up for what I felt was right. I did not place myself above students or fans. Instead, I challenged an unjust decision due to the premeditated actions of another official, Darrell Bailey coming into the locker room – uninvited, and had to endure, in my opinion, racial slurs.
Still, there is another lesson here: fight for what you believe no matter if EVERYONE is against you.
1) I completely agree with you, Victor. There are always 2 sides, and usually when you hear both of them, they are as different as can be. The problem here is that we, as officials and people, have only heard your side of the story and have read what was published in the newspaper. We have not heard the side of the other official involved, nor are we privy as to why the KHSSA made the decision that they did, or why the courts ruled as they did. Even then, it will probably take a heckuva lot more to find the truth in this unfortunate situation than just hearing two disparate accounts and trying to ascertain which one is more believable. That isn't fair to anybody, and, as officials, we are trained to be fair.

A situation like this cries out for a much more involved look at it by people trained and certified to deal with discrimination complaints imo. Hopefully, a proper and fair investigation by a neutral party could find a little bit more out about this situation. Hopefully you, or someone else, has already initiated such action. I know that, just from using Google, that you can lay a complaint over the web and get an investigation.

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/HumanRel...laint+form.htm

Jmo, but until we get more solid information, we should be giving everybody the benefit of the doubt. That includes the other official and the KHSAA.