View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg43
I should clarify that the last situation described where the B-R was called out for returning to 1st happened during a tournament game (I think we were using PONY rules). I asked the umpire why she was out and his response was that once she made a turn into the field, she was committed to proceed to 2nd. Ever since then, I have insisted that my players always come to a complete stop on the base after a walk without even the slightest hint of looking into the field.

I'll check the PONY book to see if I can find the rule. I just presumed that this "rule" applied across the board of officiating organizations.
Pony rules have a pretty generic LBR.

t. Look Back Rule (FP) – The “Look Back” rule will be in effect when the ball is live, the batter-runner has touched first base or has been declared out, and the pitcher has possession and control of the ball in the eight foot (2.44m) radius of the pitcher’s plate. The pitcher is considered to be in the eight foot (2.44m) radius of the pitcher’s plate when both feet are on or within the lines. When the baserunner fails to keep contact with the base to which she is entitled until the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand, the baserunner will be declared out. When a baserunner is legimately off her base after a pitch or the result of a batter completing her turn at bat while the pitcher has the ball with an eight foot (2.44m) radius on the pitcher’s plate, the runner may stop once, but then she must immediately attempt to advance to the next base or immediately return to her base.
(1) Failure to immediately proceed to the next base or return to her base once the pitcher has the ball within the eight foot (2.44m) radius of the pitcher’s plate will result in the baserunner being declared out.
(2) Once the runner returns to a base for any reason, she will be declared out if she leaves said base, unless a play is made on her or another runner (a fake throw is considered a play); the pitcher no longer has possession of the ball in the eight foot (2.44m) radius; or the pitcher releases the ball by a pitch to the batter.
NOTE: A base on balls or dropped third strike, on which the runner is entitled to run, is treated the same as a batted ball. The batter-baserunner may continue past first base and is entitled to run toward second base as long as she does not stop at first base. If she stops after she rounds first, she then must comply with Section 9t(1).

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.