View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Large players and displacement

I find it interesting that people have discussed the concept of a really big person just not being displaced. I had a player that played in a league that i officiated a large number of games in, and he constantly complained that he was getting fouled, and wasn't getting any calls. When I started watching, he was right - he was being hit, pushed, shoved, etc. But in most cases, almost no displacement occurred because he was tall and large.

Most people say not to call a foul, without displacement, and the rules support this. But is this fair to the larger players, who can get hit and pushed and if they are able to hold their ground, there would be no foul called? I'm not out looking to call fouls, but should the larger players be subject to more abuse simply because it is harder to displace them?

BTW, I wasn't able to find a lot of situations where I could call the fouls. Many times, i noticed the fouls after the game, looking at videos from it, but during the game, because there was no displacement, it was hard, if not impossible, to see the contact as a foul.