View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al

"In the play you present here, even if there was no force, I would probably have awarded the runner 3rd. (Of course, this is a HTBT play.) However, in the scenario you present, yes, the runner would receive 3rd".

Remember, the penalty for OBS is the umpire awards the base to the runner that, in his/her judgement, they felt the runner would have obtained had the OBS not occurred.

Thanks, That's what I thought, but you say (probably award 3rd, HTBT) You also said ...(the penalty for OBS is the umpire awards the base to the runner that, in his/her judgement, they felt the runner would have obtained had the OBS not occurred.). So if the umpire does not think the runner would have been safe (had there been no obstruction) would he/she not award 3rd base? Let's say in the play I presented the pitcher gets the ball immediately and throws to 3rd and the ball gets there way ahead of the runner, who was only slightly brushed by the obstructing fielder. (runner hardly lost a step) If 2nd is not open, an umpire may or may not award the obstructed runner 3rd? He may call the runner out? If 2nd is open the runner is protected between 2nd and 3rd, and cannot be called out. I have to get this clear in my mind. It's not always easy to understand the rules as written. I have to hurry my grand baby is in a hurry to go out to lunch so Poppa can get her a happy meal... Thanks!