View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Sounds like you did the right thing....at that point of the game, why bother???

Did you do the five (ok...four and a half) in under three hours??

My worst one last year was a JV 'contest' where NEITHER team had any talent...was there three and a half freaking hours (behind the plate of course!),it was 27-26 at the end,and there twerent nothing anyone couldve done about it - if there had been 30 WPs/PBs/HBPs,there mustve been 40....god...my partner was pooped just from walking back and forth on the bases from all the walks and stuff...It was entirely appropriate the winning run (by the visitors of course)came in as a result of a HBP....I got a pretty good rep in my associations for nice,quick games, but even I couldn't do anything about that one.

The funny thing is that the next day I had a 7th/8th grade game between two small schools on the schedule...with me behind the plate,and a newbie as my partner..you think I was dreading that game?? Turns out the one team is from a small christian school in the area,and they have exactly ONE bat for the whole team...game was over in an HOUR...and...it was the ONLY time you will ever see a game end on a triple play off an infield fly...told my partner that that is why you ump..you will NEVER see that again ANYwhere.....

The final coda to this story is that I had to go back up to where I had the horrible game before....same partner..same positions..only this time they are playing a team from a much superior program.....I go....'uh-ohh'....thank GOD that other coach massaged that mercy rule like a PRO....letting his kids score 3-4 runs an inning,then holding back..never making the other team feel real bad...and we were OUTTA there in like an hour and change....

[Edited by ASA/NYSSOBLUE on Mar 15th, 2006 at 10:24 PM]