View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Nice thread

Thought I'd add this to the discussion. At the lowest ages I coach (about 9), we sometimes see on ball defense with an arm extended in front of and often contacting the dribbler. If these players are not being taught correct on ball defense by there coach, my feeling is a good Ref can accomplish the lesson with his whistle. Sometimes my small guard can't compete. Thw worst is basically an arm draped across the dribbler while running/sliding along side. More prevalent when defender is significantly taller. I've concluded that the reason some guards develop the early habit of getting the leading arm/hand up and pushing on the defender's extended arm is because the Refs don't call that draped arm a "reach" often enough, so the dribbler learns to protect him/her self.

Then I go watch the HS games, and if someone tries to defend on ball like I described above, "tweeet." But they let it go a lot in Jr High games. I tell my players to go right thru that arm extended in front of them.

We actually drill it. I use a small football blocking pad and use it with lay up lines so they get used to putting their shoulder into resistance off the dribble. We teach the dribbler to respect the defenders foot position, but if the def sticks an arm out in front of you and makes contact- lower the shoulder and go right thru the arm.

I know coaches who teach their players to put the shoulder into the center of the defenders chest in the same situation (legal guarding position not established). I don't teach that tactic, I think I can accomplish the same thing (level the defenders unfair advantage) just as well with my tactic and I'm less likely to pick up the PC call on my dribbler my way.