Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
However, he is one of the best officials at getting into the WORST position to see plays. Instead of going top-side, he constantly goes low - almost to the endline. Why squat when looking at a play? Why move to the hoop with a play instead of stepping up so the play opens up? Why not take a step onto the court to see between players in the corner? Squating down, putting hands on knees, etc., is all very cute but it does nothing to help with angles.
You just described the way David Hall officiates.
Did I do that?

[cough]Duke vs UCONN about three years ago[cough] breakdown the film [cough]14 or so blown calls [cough]
I never really understood why this crew was as criticized as it was. Okafor's second was arguable. But he wasn't entirely vertical. Yes, it's one that maybe gets let go by other crews and it took the best player out of the game for a while, but they called it consistently, both ways.

It was two years ago, and it's hard to remember, but ultimately, looking at the big picture, the officials did not seem to me to have an impact on the result. Both teams were unhappy with the officiating, which is probably as good an indication that it was well called as if both teams were happy. The better team won. The players decided the game. Duke played better for an extended period, but Conncecticut dominated in winning time. All of the end of the game situations were called exactly right. I think there were two plays at the end of the game that got Kryzewski all worked up, but both were correct. On one, Redick drove in the lane and lost the ball and claimed contact, but on the replay, the ball goes straight down and it looks like the defender (Anderson? going by memory here) got ball. On the other, Redick went up for a game tying 3, and didn't come close to getting touched other than in Kryzewski's mind.