View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Back to the strike three mechanic:

Swinging strike three - normal hammer, the batter knows they swung and missed and so does everybody else in the park. It's like the routine out call at first. No need to do anything fancy or sell the call, just signal it.

Non-swinging strike three - this is one area of the game where you get to add a little of your personality. Personally, I use what's been called "ripping sheets". The right hand goes up as I bellow "THREEEEEEE", then my hands come together as fists and I pull my right hand back toward me as my left hand thrusts out.

Whatever you do, you want to be more than routine, but less than showy. You also need to be able to keep your attention toward the field in case of a dropped third strike, attempted steal, etc. You still have the rest of the game to officiate.

I have seen umpires do all kinds of dances and gyrations out there on a called strike three that not only took their attention away from the field, but seemed to scream out "Hey, look at me!"

The best advice I can give is to find something that works for you and stick with it.