View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Sounds like a guy who forgot that the game is about the kids.
I agree that, from this one article, there doesn't really seem to be a racial element as the official claims. (That doesn't mean there isn't one; it just means it wasn't brought out in the article.) And I agree that the game is about the kids.

However, the assignment is very much about the officials. Being assigned to the post-season is very much a badge of honor to an official, and the further you go into the post-season, the bigger the badge is. If you're assigned to a game, and then removed for no good reason, that's wrong.

I can't say if the official's "altercation" was a good reason or not. But I can say that I would be very very upset to be removed from my next game on Tuesday night. I don't know if I would go to court over it, but it would definitely not be about the kids. That's about me and what I earned (hopefully) on merit this season.
Chuck brings up a good point...

We don't have enough information to dispute the race card thing. And what the hell was that other guy doing, going into the locker room at halftime of a huge game, just to pick a fight? Other questions:

1) Why did game admin. see fit to remove one of the working game officials? Why not just remove the troublemakers? Short of pulling a weapon, I can't see why the BOTH of them were kicked out of the building altogether.

2) Where were this guy's partners, or other officials who were undoubtedly at the game?

3) There must have been evaluators, assignors, etc there to watch the game. What were they doing?

So let me get this straight....someone comes into the room at halftime of a big game I'm working, stirs up trouble, and I get penalized for it. HUH? This guy is good enough that he was awarded some pretty big games. Seems to me his colleagues had a chance to give him the benefit of the doubt - and chose to hang him out to dry instead.

If the same thing happened my association's city playoffs, with one of our top officials, I'm thinking that evening ends a bit differently.

In the end, it seems very wrong to penalize EVERYBODY - especially the kids - for a dispute with your officials association. Save the big legal battle for afterwards.

[Edited by canuckrefguy on Mar 13th, 2006 at 11:58 AM]