View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 11, 2006, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by bebanovich
I've seen on here before that it was a point of emphasis but I haven't seen it even warned in our area. Which makes me curious, how are the POE's handled? Are they determined nationally and then sort of reemphasized regionally? [/B]
Yes, POE's are determined by the NFHS Rules Committee, which is a national body. They then can be further re-emphasisized regionally. This particular POE states that it's an immediate "T" if a coach wanders out of his box, with no warning required. Thatr's as per the written rule. Some states, examples-Illinois and MASS, I think- have issued directives that one warning should be issued to a coach who is out of their box, and the next occurrence is a "T". Iirc, someone from Illinois also posted that their state governing body said that officials who wouldn't call that "T" as directed would not get year-end playoff games.

And, as I stated above, it makes no difference if you're out of the box coaching or whining either. They're supposed to be treated the same.

If it's not being called in your area, that's fine. If you go out of your area for a game and you get called, you know why. [/B][/QUOTE]

Texas has also come down very hard on the coaching box. We were told that if we didn't enforce the box we wouldn't be getting playoff assignments. They also said that if the chapter as a whole didn't enforce it the ENTIRE CHAPTER would not be getting regional playoff assignments. On top of all this they told us that if an official was chronically not enforcing the coaching box the ethics committee would get involved.

Some of our gyms don't have a box taped down or the box is taped in the middle of the bench. We have been instructed to ask the coach to tape the box in it's proper position. If he/she refuses we are to seat belt the home coach and allow the visiting coach the first three chairs.