View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 31, 2000, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

"Also, since entering the dugout after reaching home base is NOT considered abandonment of the base paths, the runner must also be allowed a legitimate opportunity to correct his error within a reasonable time period.

Warren thanks I now know my analogy was incorrect - but not to beat a dead horse

exactly was is a reasonable amount of time?

We say players (in this case F2) should know the rules. Well on a play at the plate when either F2 or r3 here nothing from the PU, they should know at that point; r3 didn't touch the plate and F2 didn't tag the runner otherwise they would have heard some sort of call - Out or Safe.

Depending upon the ballpark - dugouts are a few feet away from home plate, therefore, reasonable amount of time could be up to the dugout steps - Again IMO that is plenty of time to correct one's mistake.

As I stated earlier this type of scenario happens "once in a bluemoon" so it probably will not get much consideration.

If this type of play were to happen on a regular basis it would receive more attention from the rulemakers and most likely be changed.

I'm not saying it's right but I bet most umpires would rule a player out the moment he enters the dugout and probably would not get any flak from coaches for calling it that way.

Again thanks for the input

Pete Booth

------------------
Peter M. Booth