View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Well, you completely missed his point.

WE do not bring the BOO (B3) to anyone's attention. If it IS brought to our attention, B5 is the proper batter... but his point was in response to your statement that "We cannot allow B3 to complete his time at bat" - yes we do, unless the BOO (B3's BOO, not B4's) is brought to our attention.
I understand that if an appeal is not made we do nothing, but if an appeal is made even after the first pitch to the next batter, we don't replace B3 unless coach states that B5 should be the next batter? We then allow B3 to bat and the next batter to be B5? I am sorry but I feel uncomfortable with this. Say B3 completes his time at bat, then coach says B5 cannot be the next batter, it should be B4 who is on base. I then say ..... Why put yourself in that position?

It seems to me that you make the correction whether or not the coach says anything about B3. This eliminates any future problems when B5 comes to the plate.

Now, I again may be missing your point (would not be the first time). Preventive umpiring or whatever it might be called, replacing B3 with B5 after an improper appeal is the spirit of the rule as I understand it. What difference does it make to me who is at bat, B3 or B5.