View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
It had no bearing on the play whatsoever, as it was the first of two. Say what you will but I would have handled it the same way. I'm sure the official would have handled it the same way if Duke had been shooting.
I know my philosophy would probably keep me from ever getting a state championship game much less make it to D1 (that and the fact that I was 45 when I started calling). However...what other rules do you ignore during critical moments of a game?

An official I know called two three second violations in a state finals. He also said he called a clear lane violation in the last half of the 4th quarter semi-final game that year. This last weekend I saw a lane violation called with 4 minutes left in a regional finals game...score tied.

If there is an obvious foul or violation and you pass on it...are you not intentionally putting the other team at a disadvantage? Guys playing in the UNC-Duke game are some of the best "non-professional" basketball players in America and have been playing for years.

If the coach does not like the call all he has to do is make sure his players don't violate.