View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Father of Two
newbie here...If a player was standing on the sideline and came in contact with the ball, the ball would be considered OOB, yes? Then why would that not be true for someone standing on the goal line? If someone is standing on the goal line then the ball is still...

Actually I think I just answered by own question...I think the answer is that the end zone is still in the field of play, and it would be the same as if a player was standing on the 50 yd line with the ball on the 49. Conversely in this example, if the ball was on the offense, we never consider a ball carrier in the endzone even if his whole body is in, if the ball still remains in his hand in front of the goal line.

Is this logic correct?

REPLY: Father...I think you came up with the right answer, but possibly not quite by the right logic. By definition (in rule 2) the 'field of play' is defined as the are between the two goal lines bounded by the sidelines. The end zones are NOT part of the field of play. The real reason is that the sidelines are considered boundary LINES. The goal line on the other hand is probably misnamed and should more appropriately be called a goal PLANE.

A player must touch the sideline or outside of it in order to be ruled out of bounds. For example, a player running in the field of play near the sideline who holds the ball out over the OOB area is still considered inbounds even though the ball broke the plane of the sideline. Conversely, a ball need only break the plane of the goal line in order to be ruled in the end zone. And failing to break the plane of the goal line with the ball leaves it in the field of play somewhere short of the goal line.