View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

I am not in favor of prohibiting Bonds from entering the Hall. Atletes have been using Performance Enhancing Drugs for a long time. Going back to amphetimines in the NBA in the 60's and cortisone in all sports.

From what I've learned, Anabolic Steroids are terrifically bad for your body. Lyle Alzado, Derick Sanderson and Billy Graham all told their horror stories. It's been a pandemic for Professional Wrestlers:

• Curt Hennig, 44, died of acute cocaine intoxication in February 2003, medical records show. But his father said last year that a lethal combination of steroids and painkillers contributed to his death.

•"The British Bulldog," Davey Boy Smith, 39,died in 2002 in Canada of an enlarged heart with evidence of microscopic scar tissue, possibly from steroid abuse, a coroner said. "Davey paid the price with steroid cocktails and human-growth hormones," says Bruce Hart, a veteran trainer who worked with Smith and was his brother-in-law.

•Louie "Spicolli" Mucciolo, 27, died from coronary disease in his San Pedro, Calif., home in 1998, according to his autopsy. Investigators found an empty vial of the male hormone testosterone, pain pills and an anxiety-reducing drug. The Los Angeles County coroner's office determined the drugs might have contributed to his heart condition.

•Richard "Ravishing Rick Rude" Rood, 40, died from an overdose of "mixed medications" in Alpharetta, Ga., in 1999, his autopsy shows. In 1994 he testified that he had used anabolic steroids to build muscle mass and relieve joint pain.

•"Flyin' "Brian Pillman, 35, was taking painkillers and human-growth hormones when he died from heart disease in 1997, his widow said several years ago. Investigators found empty bottles of painkillers near his body in a Minnesota hotel room.

Bonds, McQuire and others failed miserably to serve as examples for younger athletes. I blame them far more than guys like Mike Webster & Lyle Alzado that didn't know the dangers as well. That is their moral dilema and legacy. They should be ashamed.

They may have broken Drug Laws. I'm all for legal prosecution.

If they are proven to have broken Rules of their sport. I'm all for punishment including being banned from playing. I'm for a more strict testing policy.

However, after the ball goes over the fence, it's a Home Run and too many athletes in too many sports have used illegal drugs and gotten away with it to make an example of one single guy for the Hall of Fame. He was a great, great player - it's sad he went this route.