View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
After reading the recent SI article on Barry Bonds my first thought was Bonds must be the single most hated man in baseball, at least by the press. But, they make a good case for much of what they write IMO. Here's the response from Bonds' lawyer -

http://barrybonds.mlb.com/players/bo...ent_030706.pdf

Looks like he's gonna just try & ignore it & hope it all blows over.

Assuming it doesn't...what should become of Bonds' records? Mcgwire's for that matter, it's clear he was a juicer as well.

Does any of this mean Bonds shouldn't get to the hall of fame?

Or is this another case of the press getting payback on an athlete who just refuses to cooperate with them?
If you read the statement carefully, you'll find one little thing missing - the statement, "I didn't do it!" You do see statements saying he hasn't read the article or book, and that some of the witnesses aren't credible (not that they're wrong, just not credible). Iow, a typical, lawyerly statement saying nothing.

I guess the problem I have with Bonds and McGwire is they have done nothing wrong according to the rules of baseball. Even if the SI story about Bonds is true, it wasn't against baseball's rules at that time. And they haven't shown he juiced after 2002 when baseball enacted the rules. But, it still "feels" like cheating.

Should it keep them out of the Hall of Fame? I don't know. If someone can explain to me how Shoeless Joe Jackson, who didn't really do anything wrong, is not in the HOF, but Gaylord Perry, who admits (and brags) about cheating is in?

Hall of Fame voting - sport or not a sport? (Oops, wrong thread.)

(Used with permission.)