View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 04:34am
Official Forum Member

A couple of comments.
1. You should not concern yourself with the happiness of the coach or AD following the contest or whether or not they thank you. You are there to fairly administer a contest and not to please them.
Possibly being a football coach yourself, your approach in this regard is different, but in the long run you will be happier if you learn to separate the coach in you from your officiating role.

2. Some games go as your first game described. Everything is pleasant and you leave with a smile. Others don't. There are games when no one liked your officiating. You can't control the reactions of others, only your own. Just do your job and then leave. While driving home refer to #1.

3. Some specifics from your second game.

Quote:
Originally posted by K-Bach
visiting coach telling his players not to worry about the calls ("this guy's had it out for you guys all year"),
My opinion is to T the coach when you hear this comment. It lacks class. If his behavior continues to be poor, assess the second T and the game will be much more enjoyable for you without this fool.

Quote:
B1 throws the ball at the face of A2, who's just beginning to sort himself out on the floor OOB. "Whack!" Coach B, is about to lose it. I report both, adding the phrase, "throwing the ball at the face of another player," to the end of the T.
Did this ball actually strike the opponent in the face? If so, I hope you considered calling this a FLAGRANT technical foul.

Quote:
At a TO, he's close to a T, but lunatic ramblings will be allowable during OT.
Why do believe this? Did this coach do anything to deserve some leeway? Was his behavior good until that point and he had a tough decision go against his club? It certainly doesn't sound like it.

Remember that whatever behavior you allow will be demonstrated. I strongly urge you to reconsider your thinking on this. From your description of this contest, it is quite likely that the coach should not have been around for the extra period.

Look at the contrast in the behavior of the two coaches in your game. When you have one coach who is well-behaved and representing his program with class, why can't the other coach conduct himself similarly? What is the standard of conduct that you desire from coaches? What are you willing to do to obtain it?

Quote:
best whiner T's out
Not surprising. Perhaps preventable though.
The kids normally follow the example of their leader. Take care of Batman, and Robin will usually fall into line.