View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 11:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by All_Heart
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Quote:
Well, let's put it this way: it's not going to be a held ball between the backboard and the player . . .

The loss of control you describe could be seen as a fumble; if so, the player would have the right to come down with the ball, I believe.
Yup, he does have the right to come down with the ball. Of course, he should be called for traveling as soon as he finishes exercising that right.

If they go up with player control....and come down with player control....and the ball was never touched by another player when it was loose on a fumble.... or a "try" was never released....or a defender didn't stop a "try" from eing released.......then it's a travel because of a pivot-foot violation.

My interpretation was that you may always recover a fumble. A fumble is a loss of player control so I thought the player may recover the ball while in the air and come back down with it. Is there a case play covering this?
Rule 4-44-3a&b covers the play. Also see case book play 4.43.3SitB. The key to the call is not whether the shooter lost player control in the air; it's whether he lost team control in the air. To avoid a travel, team control must be lost by the player in the air.