Thread: ASA BOO
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Guess you didn't read the whole thread.

Until this year, the rule has said, "Any advance or score made as a result of the improper batter becoming a batter-runner shall be nullified. Any out that is made prior to discovering this infraction, remains an out."

This whole topic is about whether the change to the current wording was intended to CHANGE this so that in the case discussed, Able would not be allowed to advance from 2B to 3B on a 4th ball BOO.

But before this year, Able has been allowed to advance to 3B on a 4th ball passed ball BOO, or on a steal during the 4th ball. The advance was not "as a result of" the improper batter becoming a BR - it was just simultaneous with it.

If you are telling us that ASA intended this to be a change, it sure wasn't mentioned in our clinic, or highlighted in the changes section... and this would be a significant change.

My opinion is that this was not intended to be a change, but a clerical clean-up with possibly an unintended effect. But you are certainly in a better position to tell us if this was intentional.
No, I read the thread this probably was just housekeeping. I understand what is being said and I'm not totally against it. The only case play to support what you were saying involves a BOO appeal, but not the improper batter becoming a BR.