View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule

Suppose with no outs and Abel on 2B, Charles bats instead of Baker. On ball 4 to Charles, Abel steals 3B. After a proper appeal, I would leave Abel on 3B, since he did not advance as a result of a batted ball or Charles's advance to 1B. He simply stole 3B.

I'll agree with you on this. Charles advancing to first didn't force Abel to advance.

Quote:
But how about this?:

Abel on 3B, no outs. Charles bats instead of Baker and takes ball 4. Charles proceeds to 1B but continues on to 2B. The defense plays on Charles and Abel scores. The defense then appeals the BOO. (Whether or not Charles was put out is irrelevant.) Would you allow Abel's run to score? In other words, was Abel's advance "as a result of Charles's advance to 1B," or simply an event that occurred along with it? I think I'd go with the former and send Abel back to 3B, but I admit I'm not sure.

Personally, i'd let the play stand since Abel's advance was not caused by Charles either batting the ball, or advancing to first base (and subsequently forcing the runners to advance). JMHO though.