Thread: ASA BOO
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
I noticed a change of wording in the ASA book regarding the ruling after a proper appeal of BOO (before the next pitch, etc.).

It's 7-2-D-2-b in both 2005 and 2006:

This wording first appeared in 1999, and ran through 2005:

"Any advance or score made as a result of the improper batter becoming a batter-runner shall be nullified. Any out that is made prior to discovering this infraction, remains an out."

2006:

"Any advance of runners and any run scored shall be nullified. All outs made stand."

Incidentally, in 1998, this was the wording:

"Any advance or score made because of a ball batted by the improper batter or because of the improper batter's advance to 1B as the result of obstruction, a hit batter, a walk, dropped third strike or base hit shall be nullified."

Apparently in 1998 outs made on the play didn't stand. (I was umping then, but I can't remember.)

My question is, Does the 2006 wording reflect a change of rule? For example, do we now nullify all advances made during the at bat of the improper batter, say, on a stolen base?
I doubt it as the base would have been stolen regardless of who was at the plate. The exception would be if the stolen base took place on the pitch upon which the batter became the BR and then the BOO was properly appealed.