View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
7. Rut said: “It is not about professionalism at this point, it is about self-preservation.” Chuck agreed with him. I disagree with them. There comes a point where self-preservation enters the equation to be sure (it may even dominate the equation in certain circumstances), but I am a believer that “professionalism” is always, always at issue. How we handle ourselves when everything is going great is important, too; but we must acknowledge that how we handle ourselves in moments of crisis and stress says perhaps even more about who we are.
That's a nice little speech, overflowing with pretty words and lofty ideals. Will thinking about it console you as you nurse your broken nose, missing teeth and swollen eyes? No, I didn't think so. I can well imagine that at a moment like the one the OP describes, you may just become accutely aware of how large and unfriendly the crowd that surrounds you is, and how few friends you have at that moment. Do yourself a favor, if you've never heard of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, look it up. "His theory contends that as humans meet 'basic needs', they seek to satisfy successively 'higher needs' that occupy a set hierarchy." The only needs more basic than safety are physiological needs (the ability to breathe, food, water, etc.). Professionalism is one of those "higher needs." When the more basic needs are met, then professionalism takes its rightful place as a worthy pursuit. When our saftey need is not met, professionalism rightfully becomes a lower priority. In other words you can shine your shoes and properly file the paperwork when the danger is over.

You could argue that people like soldiers and police are often in unsafe situations and are still expected to perform in a very professional manner. Of course these professionals fully expect to be in those situations and are trained in how to control them, to maintain the upper hand, and are armed and prepared to respond with deadly force when necessary. Hmmm, when I think about it in those terms, I guess getting my *** kicked is not very professional.

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
8. We read these forums for nuggets that will help us become better officials. We become better officials when we are “prepared” for the unexpected. Juulie’s tip reminding us of the power of the whistle is a nugget that adds substantial value. Thanks, Juulie.
This "nugget" could be a valuable tool in the right situation. In the wrong situation, your whistle could disappear down your throat along with your front teeth.