View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Jeff is correct with regard to the evolution of the rule. Previously, the exceptions were very clear. There were exceptions for a throw-in, a jump ball, and a steal by an airborne defender. There has never been an exception for a rebounder.

When the exceptions were rewritten as as 9-9-3, the rules did not change. They simply moved from exception to rule, a semantical change, not a philosophical one.

psycho, the fact that you're discussing that the NFHS should change the rule to include a rebounder after a missed shot makies it clear what the rule presetnly is. If the rule covered rebounders, it wouldn't need to be changed, now would it?
Oddly enough I discussed this very play with a fellow official for the first time earlier this season. I just had never thought of the long rebound with an airborne player situation since the wording of the rule was changed.

The funny part is that I had this discussion with a first year official who had just worked the first varsity games of his life. Whe were going over TH's backcourt quiz on the car ride home and he inquired about the rebounding play.

I told him then that I had learned something from him. See you can learn from everyone!

Now my opinion is that the rewording of the rule did, in fact, change the rule. I believe that this play should NOT be a violation. The three items listed in parentheses should not be taken as all inclusive. Here's the proof:

Jumpball to start the game. The jumpers are A1 and B1. A1 taps the ball. Then A2 taps the ball, but he is not able to gain control. Now A3 jumps from his frontcourt, catches the ball with both feet off the floor, and subsequently lands with both feet in the backcourt. Violation or not?

Recall the exact wording of the rule says, "during a jump ball" and when does the jump ball end?

4-28-3 "The jump ball begins when the ball leaves the referee's hand(s) and ends when the touched ball contacts a nonjumper, the floor, a basket or backboard."

The casebook play doesn't cover the scenario above. Only the play in which the first nonjumper who touches the ball and subsequently lands in the backcourt is given in 9.9.1 SITUATION B. That first nonjumper gets an exception. However, what about the second nonjumper to touch the ball? Certainly, his action isn't during the jumpball!

It is my opinion that both of these are oversights by the committee of rules writers and that neither one should be a backcourt violation.

Of course, that is just my little ole opinion.