View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Oh, I'll add fuel to the fire. The rules in Fed are very clear on this scenario.

7-3-4 says " A batter shall not: permit a pitched ball to touch him. Penalty: The batter remains at bat ( pitch is a ball or strike ) unless pitch was a third strike. "

So . . . . on a 3-2 count, by 7-3-4 the batter takes ball four on the elbow ( or wherever ) which puts him on 1st base. The rule doesn't make any case for bases loaded, batter is cheating so call it a strike, that's not fair to the defense, etc. It doesn't make any case for the umpire to use his discresion and call it a strike even though it isn't ( remember the strike zone is " over the plate " and this ball probaly hit the batter before it got there ). I think it would take more courage to follow the rule and place him on 1st than it would to call him out because you don't like what he did. I am playing devils advocate here. I hope this never happens to me. In any event, I am not having a do over. That is not in the rule for this situation.

A sidenote. FED could easily rectify this by posting in the penalty " . . . .unless pitch was a third strike or fourth ball which causes the batter to be out. " Wouldn't that make it easier for all?

Just read Alan Roper's thoughts on this scenario. Apparently I am in agreement with his phiilosophy ( for the most part ). Bottom line. Put him on 1st base.

[Edited by officialtony on Mar 1st, 2006 at 09:35 AM]
Sheffield Lake, Ohio