View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
I have seen this question before but can't find the thread.

Here is the situation: A1 is shooting free throws, any type. B1 steps in the lane too soon, delayed violation. Then a player from team A steps in too soon.

What is the proper procedure? Cancel the free throw, shoot the next free throw if more are to be given, if not would you go to the arrow?
This rule changed a few seasons ago. It used to be a violation by both teams, but now only the first violation along the lane is penalized and the second is ignored.
Rule 9 Violations and Penalties
SECTION 1 FREE-THROW PROVISIONS
PENALTIES: (Section 1)
4. If there is a violation first by the free-thrower's opponent followed by the free thrower or a teammate:

a. If both offenders are in a marked lane-space, the second violation is ignored, as in penalty item (2).

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex

Another free throw question: Late in game, team A leading. Team A shooting free throws with no players from team A on the lane. Team B occupies 3 spaces, all normal spaces but only one of the bottom two spaces are occupied. Is this a delay of game, T, or delayed free throw violation? I'm thinking delay of game or T.

Please help me clear these up, some rules or case references would be greatly appreciated so I can look at my books when I get home.
10.1.5 SITUATION C: The calling official has reported the foul and proceeds to his/her proper position for the first of two free throws awarded to A1. B1 and B2 are: (a) huddling in the lane; or (b) two B players are not occupying the first two marked spaces next to the end line as required. RULING: In (a), if the huddle delays the officials' administration, Team B is warned. The warning is recorded by the scorer and reported to the head coach. If Team B had been previously warned for free-throw delay, a technical foul shall be charged. In (b), Team B will be directed to occupy the required spaces. If there is delay, a technical foul shall be charged to Team B. (4-47)