View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

I know it's a broken record, but for God sakes this is not a melodrama. These men have taken a chance on a career; no promises of huge salaries or security were made. They are the musicians and artists of the sporting world. To say that they aren't being paid to learn and master their craft is absurd. That is why they don't stick new graduates in AAA. Despite the protestations of a few befuddled members, a decent D1 umpire can work a AAA series. The spirit and talent on the fields of Miami, Arizona State, USC, Texas and many more top programs is akin to what you'll see on many minor league fields. The action is no faster on the whole, in fact, composite bats make the game much more interesting in college. The same six calls get made and if you don't think there is pressure on you for games like USC vs. UCLA, A&M vs Texas or Miami vs Oklahoma, then you have never been to one of those games.

The men who chose the path of the apprentice umpire deserve the respect of the league but have no business asking for ours. Why should an amateur umpire refuse games at his local affiliate? What loyalty has the AMLU shown amateur umpires who try to work those local games. The answer is none. If you have ever been asked to fill in at any level, you will find that your salary is a lot less than you think. You get treated as a second class citizen by the union and the number of spots available for locals is strictly regulated. The independent leagues have operated for years with locals and no one knows that they didn't attend pro school or work their way through the PBUC system. They hustle, study and make the calls.

I have long said that I won't work those games. I know that I'm too old to move like those young robots. The fact that some of you might challenge yourself and ask to be considered should be applauded. Maybe you'll find that the game is beyond your scope and appreciate the dedication it takes to work at that level. However, this letter writing campaign is the last gasp of a dying association. It takes a lot of gall to ask someone you normally would never work with to protect your livelihood.

I would also like to correct a statement made earlier in that letter. "The top AAA umpires currently make $14,000/season (give or take)." Hogwash, even your press releases state otherwise! I know a few AAA guys and they make more than some college grads their age. The Department of Labor stated that an employee without a college degree often makes 40% less than one who does. Take a poll and see how many complete bachelors degrees are in hand. When you factor in a five month season and that most of those guys are eligible to work two seasons, hustle clinics or grab some choice summer assignments that take home is considerably more.

I won't even discuss the per diem. Any fill in or local umpire doesn't receive even a hot dog. He may have to drive hours to the park and be relegated to the rabbit position. He gets less than you per game and you still complain about conditions. Think about it, there are guys that are willing to work for less than you and put up with the grief and you are asking them to help you make more.

In the end, I hope that your union is smart enough to limit their focus and accept a nominal increase for a year or two. Spend the time finding better bargaining positions and remind yourselves of how special it feels to step onto those fields. That is what it is all about. It is a privilege to work in those parks. Yes, you are talented and deserve more, but should not compromise your brethren while at it. Your cause will be hurt if they take games, but you made a decision and want others to bail you out. That is a horrible trait in an umpire. Make the call and live with the decision.

[Edited by WhatWuzThatBlue on Feb 28th, 2006 at 06:52 PM]