View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
Where do you get that Dakota?
Well, I did try to indicate that I am allowing for me being too literal here, but...
Quote:
The advance happened during a suspension of play - the ump called out 3, it was end of inning by announcement (verbal or nonverbal) of the ump.. the fielders left the field play, it was the end of the inning.
When else would the fielders leave the field of play? This rule is not concerned with player mistakes (for example, thinking the 2nd out was the 3rd out and leaving the field)... it is concerned with umpire mistakes, which can cause the defense to leave the field. So, if you allow the "suspension of play" exception to this phrase about infielders leaving fair territory, when would this phrase have any application at all?
Quote:
Even with the rule you posted.. the ump can rectify it fairly, he neednt allow the advance by rule, spirit of rule, or common sense.
Spirit of the rule, fine, but making the correction after the infielders have left the field contradicts the rule, doesn't it?

I agree with the common sense part, and, frankly, if I had been the umpire I would have applied 15-9-c and rectified the situation (put the runner back on 2nd). But, after reading the rule, I think I would have been wrong. That leaves us with letting the call stand, since I would not allow the runner's advance to stand (since my hasty / obstructed view call caused the defense to allow the runner to advance).
Fair enough - I also think that if all the players left field the technically correct call is call stands, I posted something to that effect in my first post. I dont have an ASA book after 2004 so I just never refer to it and the language isnt really there in Fed except on appeal play (which this isnt). ( i get my asa book in 2 weeks).. some day I'll download NCAA .. but I have a rules diff asa/nfhs/ncaa so I never really feel the need to.

I also think that on a personnal level, a coach behaving in this manner maybe warrants a "call stands" call.. so the technically correct call is also possibly the fairest call..

Even though I'm with everyone but WMB in that I would have put the runner to 2B and brought the def out...

Wonder what the OP did...